- Sorry, couldn’t resist a good The Breakfast Club reference! This post, obviously, is about the cosmetics I bring nearly everywhere.Advertisements
- I’m a bit of a make-up snob. I prefer spending a bit more money on quality products that will deliver, instead of blowing minor bucks on things that I won’t use regularly. That’s why I tend to bypass the cheaper, locally-made beauty brands (sorry?) and head straight for the more expensive ones like Revlon.That said, Happy Skin Cosmetics piqued my curiosity. I mean, a locally-made mid-range brand that has lovely, Benefit-esque packaging AND consistently excellent product reviews? Is this a dream?Apparently not! I got my hands on their summer lippie collection, Turn Up the Heat, and understood why beauty bloggers were abuzz with this new brand.All of Happy Skin’s products have witty names and beautiful, colorful packaging. TUTH is no exception: just look at this awesomeness!
I hate, hate, hate ugly packaging. I forgive e.l.f. because I know they can deliver good products, but for all other brands, I ignore cheap-looking packaging with bad typography. It says a lot about the products that the manufacturers actually care about what kind of image they project to consumers. And the attention to detail in the packaging means you get all your money’s worth. Happy Skin definitely delivers on this aspect.
For the price of PHP1249, you get three Shut Up & Kiss Me Moisturizing Lippies. That comes down to around PHP416 each. Not bad, considering that Revlon’s similar lippies retail for more than PHP500.Although the tip is not as precise as I’d like them to be, and it doesn’t come with a sharpener, it’s okay. The twist-up mechanism means no sharpening and no product wastage. It’s completely idiot-proof! Perfect for beginners.
These lippies come in the colors Summer Crush, Sunset Kiss, and The Morning After (left to right).
Summer Crush is a blue-based pink. This is a great everyday lippie that’s not too loud, but gives a beautiful pop of color.
I have to say, I never though I could pull off pink, but this one looks lovely on me with a light pink blush.
Also, check out the winged eyeliner!
Sunset Kiss is a red-orange shade that brightens the face. It’s a bold, loud color that I like wearing on lazy days when I’m only wearing powder. It makes me look more put-together.
Plus, I wore this while swimming and it didn’t come off!
Ok, so this was before I went swimming, but I swear it stayed on even after I hit the water.
Also, say hi to Mommy!
The Morning After is a light pink-mauve. It can be a perfect MLBB shade for light-skinned women; however, on me, I find it can wash me out, especially if I’m not wearing blush.
I took a leap of faith by wearing this a few times, since I’m afraid of wearing nearly-nude lips. As I predicted, this shade washed me out badly, especially in photos:
As I stated in the blog post I linked there, I love this color! But it won’t work out for me 🙁 I’m gonna give this to my fairer-skinned mom. It’ll look way better on her.
They come in a satin finish that transfers slightly. Texture for all lipsticks is creamy but with slight tugging. It can be a bit drying, which is surprising because they’re supposed to be as moisturizing as balms, right? These require lip prep for me, which means exfoliating and applying balm before application.
Staying power for these are average at around 2-4 hours. They cannot withstand meals: I always find a weird ring of color around my lips after eating.
If you’re looking for a good bargain on quality lip colors, this is it. TUTH contains a bold color, an MLBB shade, and a naturally-pretty pink, so there will definitely be something to strike your fancy.Price: PhP1249.00Verdict: Although it could use some improvements, overall, I’m impressed. Would purchase from Happy Skin again.Advertisements
- Hi, my name is Ela, and I’m a bold-lipstick addict.Hi, Ela!I am an absolute sucker for bold lips. Red lipstick is a particular weakness of mine, although I’m also into deeper shades like violet and hot pink.I love ’em because they make a statement. They’re so easy to pull off on lazy days when I feel like going minimal with everything else. It literally takes ten seconds to make me feel more polished.
Revlon Matte Balm in Shameless Wearing Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Color in Red RevivalAdvertisements
- If I could find an eyeliner that could give me the smoldering eyes I crave, I would wear it every day.Unfortunately, not a single liner I’ve tried could withstand my outrageously oily skin, so imagine how my heart skipped a beat when I read that K-Palette could perfectly stay on for hours!A lot of beauty bloggers have raved about this product. Let’s see if it lives up to the hype.
K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo Real Lasting EyelinerAdvertisements
- Obviously, I love make-up. On my current income, that’s a bit of a problem since I want to buy so many things! But since my cash is limited, I try to make my purchases count. I research endlessly and make sure that whatever I’ll be buying is worth it. Of course, sometimes there will be duds, but thankfully there have been more hits than misses.I know other people out there are in the same situation: they love cosmetics but are strapped for cash. I feel you, sisters. When you work your ass off, you want to get your money’s worth! That’s why it pisses me off when some people take advantage of this by selling imitations of high-end products.Advertisements
- The only pressed powder I have ever used is Maybelline Clear Smooth. It’s affordable, but it’s not great at oil control, and that’s what I’m really looking for.First off, can I say how hard it is to find a pressed powder that’s not powder foundation? Nearly all of my Google searches led me to powder foundation reviews. Ugh. Powder foundie on top of a liquid foundie = cakey, masklike mess. No, thanks!Anyway, let’s take a look at this baby:
IN2IT Oil Control & Oil-Free face powder in 03_ HarvestAdvertisements
- I live five minutes away from a mall that has a Revlon counter, so needless to say, every payday I hit ’em up just to browse. I bought these lippies on a whim because they were marked down, and boy, am I ever glad I impulse-shopped!
Revlon Super Lustrous LipsticksThey come in 82 shades, so there’s bound to be something for everyone. As for me, I was drawn by the deeper colors like their reds. Shocking. /sarc
Let’s start with the packaging. Black and gold is truly a classic combination, and it makes these tubes look sophisticated. However, I do wish there was a bit of whimsy in the packaging, because make-up is fun!!! These look very typical to other makeup packaging. Yawn.Advertisements
- Because I want to feel bad about not having enough money.
K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo Real Lasting Eyeliner
I’m buying this by the end of April because of all the great reviews I’ve read! I adore eyeliners but I haven’t found one that can stick to my oily lids. Hopefully, this would be my HG.Advertisements
- I got this as part of a gift bag from my tita. At first, I didn’t expect much seeing as it’s not a well-known brand, but now I am so glad my tita gave it to me. Read on to find out why.
Glam Works Lip and Cheek Tint in Strawberry RedIt comes in a plastic jar with a screw-on lid. Size is suitable for travel, as it’s small and light.Advertisements
My skin is frickin’ weird. It’s very oily to the point that the grease actually transfers to my hands, but in areas around my nose, it’s dry and crusty. Damn it, skin, make up your mind!
I keep reading that the reason skin gets oily is because it’s overcompensating for moisture that apparently I’m not providing. And all this time I avoided moisturizers because I thought they’d make me oil up even worse. I tried The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Moisturizer with SPF 15 but after it proved to be very ineffective in healing my skin cracks, I searched for a lightweight but effective moisturizer.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
The price tag admittedly put me off, but in my desperation to de-grease, I took the jump.Advertisements